Indonesia 2015 | Brand Profiles | 2 | BRI
Company: Bank Rakyat Indonesia Persero Tbk PT
Brand value: US$8,285 million
Headquarter city: Jakarta
Year formed: 1895
Heritage banking brand with emphasis on small business
BRI is Indonesia’s oldest commercial bank, with a focus on providing credit to small and medium enterprises, particularly in some of the country’s most remote areas; 75 percent of the credit it provided in 2013 went to micro, small, and medium enterprises. BRI has the widest branch network of any bank in Indonesia, with 10,000 outlets, and works under the slogan “Melayani Dengan Setulus Hati” – Service from the Heart. Its proposition is built around its desire to be the “People’s Bank of Indonesia” and, by focusing on small and medium businesses, it positions itself as helping build the economy of the people. It was named Bank of The Year Indonesia in 2014 by The Banker magazine. Innovations include BRI Hybrid, a self-service banking product, launched in 2013, and the electronic payment product BRIZZI, in 2010.
The bank is 57 percent state owned, with the remaining 43 percent traded publicly since 2003. It has overseas units in New York, the Cayman Islands, and Hong Kong.